Many people do not understand the undertaking of getting your files scanned and converting them into a digital format. Here are some tips I will pass along to you and to think about.
1. Know exactly how you want to be able to use your scanned documents.
2. Always look into OCRing your documents.
3. Research and analyze the cost of doing the scanning in-house versus outsourcing the job.
4. Getting the file ready to be scanned, also known as prepping the file is something that should not be over looked. It is very easy to miss a staple, sticky note and other hindrances.
5. Find the correct software to manage the documents that will be most cost effective while being able to function to ones needs.
6. If you are scanning in-house, do not over look the scanner. There are many out there, with multiple functions.
7. Be as organized as you possibly can. It is very easy to lose one piece of paper if you are not being organized throughout the process.
8. Always double check the work of your employees and/or yourself.
9. Index as many fields as you can for each scanned batch (PDF). This will only make it easier when you are searching for the file.
10. Track what you have done. Write down who scanned what, who prepped the file, as well as where the file has gone.
I hope this has helped your next document scanning job!